Creative Drawing. Tutorial 7- Watercolour W.I.P.2 and finished products

Hello Everyone,

Today's lesson Watercolour.

As stated in my last two of blogs that took place early October - early November 2019 I got myself a watercolour set and a watercolour pad and have been testing them out. I made a swatch sheet show the true colours and completed a few warm ups. I started to feel comfortable to be able to working on tutorial 7. I started with the goldfish. First attempt it didn't look like the reference picture at all. It turned out being another type of fish unsure what type but it was a fish. Second attempt it looked much better and I was more happy with how it turned out.
Attempt one- Nov 4th 2019
Attempt two (Finished Copy)- Nov 7th 2019
 Next up I painted the pig. When I started working on the pig I let myself relax and just let the water and the paint flow and blend on its own. I blended colours into each other more where I felt lines were too harsh and left others alone where I wanted it to be defined. I also tried the splatter effect to both the body of the pig to give it freckles and to add a little something to the background which was something I really liked to play with.
WIP pig- Nov 4th 2019
Finished pig- Nov 4th 2019
  
Next up I worked on the three trees. After practising letting the watercolours blending into each other on the pig I knew that the trees were going to be easy. I laid down a base green and kept it wet while dripping on deeper greens, blues and yellows letting them bleed into one another blending more where it was needed. I didn't get a WIP shot unfortunately.(Same with a few others coming u.)

Finished Trees - Nov 4th 2019
Following day I started to work on the lion. I used the some techniques as all the ones above and he turned out not to badly. The only difference was I used was a few areas I used the wet on dry to build the deepness up and to paint the eyes on. (No WIP shot)
Finished Lion - 5th Nov 2019
I took a break from watercolour to work on another tutorial and returned to work on the watermelon. This one I thought would be quite easy but my watercolours died on the paper super quickly with the heat so the colours didn't blend as seamlessly as I hoped. I had to work the colours more to make it look somewhat what it was meant to look like.I used the wet on dry to add the lines and the stem on the watermelon and a wash of colour to create the shadow and it was done.(No WIP shot)
Finished Watermelon - 7th Nov 2019
The citrus fruits was next up for me to attempt and I was extremely happy with how this turned out. I sketched out the base shapes lightly in pencil before starting and used a kneadable eraser to lift up a lot of the pigment so there was only a faint line to make it easier for myself. I started with the oranges. Used a wash of orange to get down a base then added more pigment to the wash to create depth and shadows in the fruit. Next up I worked on the lime with the left over colours from my watermelon painting and the colours worked really well for it. I let the piece dry for a few moments before going in and doing the red fruit. Then the lemon using the left over yellow from the watermelon. Used the same colour wash from the watermelon and it was done. (No WIP shot)
Finished Citrus- 7th Nov 2019
This is when I went back after learning all the things above I went back and redone the goldfish.

Now we are up to today where I worked on the animal of my choice Lioness. I sketched out the head before starting and made the lines faint. I went in with a base light grey. Adding oranges around the edges of the face the ears and then down the nose. I deepened the orange with a brown making the colours deeper. I blended slightly and continued to drip brown into the wet orange and blended it out. I went over the edges of the colour using the original light grey with a touch of the orange to blend the colours together a bit more. I used the splatter to add spots the break up the solid light areas a bit. I let the face dry as I moved onto the background. Using a light green wash I went in and around the head to draw a box of colour. I applied two coats to even out the colour which made it look much better. I added a deeper green/blue to the bottom of the rectangle and flicked it up towards the top to create a slight gradient kind of like grass. I splatted on some green to add some texture and it was done.
WIP Lioness - 8th Nov 2019
finished Lioness - 8th Nov 2019
 That is it for now,
Crystle Maree



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Creative Drawing Tutorials and Equipment

Tutorial 7- Double Exposure Effect