Portrait Illustration Assessment 1 WIP

Hello Everyone,


Today I am working on my Assessment


My first assessment for the course and I'm excited to start. Once I knew what my first assessment was a portrait I was excited especially because I was able to draw someone super special in my life. Someone who inspires me and mentors me in her own special way. Someone who encourages me to continue working on my art and encourages me to do great in my personal art and in my professional course work art. My best friend Naomi. I've drawn so many portraits of Naomi for practice for poses, facial expressions, hairstyles, outfits and more. I feel like I have learnt a lot from her. She is an artist herself and her drawing style inspires me to created new and magical pieces of art some good some bad. Practice makes perfect. 

To start of this assessment was easy. Choose the subject of the art work. Check. Set up an A3 project. Check. Choosing the reference image. Took me a while but Check. Import image, scale image and crop. Easy. All the lessons leading up to this stage taught me well. I flew through the set up ready to work on the piece. Saved the project, set up a new layer grabbed the pen tool and within an easy 5 minutes the base block shape was sketched out. Within an hour I had the hair and the shirt blocked out and within 2 hours I had all the base shapes blocked in. Super quick. I'm starting to remember where to go and how to do everything I need to like its second nature. 

Next step to work on is Base colours and to start sketching out shadows and highlights. Shouldn't take me long to apply the base colours and all. The Shadows and highlights still are a bit out of my comfort zone because I am still not use to having such a solid shape for these time things but I'm sure just like the rest of my previous lessons it will become second nature.

Things I have learnt during this assessment

  • How to crop a photo
  • You can rename paths so you know what path equals what.
Everything else I have learnt during other tasks.

That's all for now,
Crystle Mcauliffe

Original Photo of my best friend Naomi
Blocked out shapes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Creative Drawing Tutorials and Equipment

Tutorial 7- Double Exposure Effect