Tutorial 3- Self Portrait

Hello Everyone,


Today's Lesson Self Portrait


In the previous blog I left my self portrait at base colours with shadows and highlights on the body and face. In this blog I will be talking about the next lot of steps I took to complete the piece.

First of all I opened my previously save file and looked over the work that I was happy with the work I have already done. I wasn't happy with the highlights as I felt like they blended in a little too much. I adjusted the opacity till I was happy with the way it look. I adjusted the shapes a little as well as some of it was not quite right. Once completing this I was ready to move onto the next step. 

Next part I wanted to work on was the hair for this I made a custom brush. For this I combined two long, thin ovals. I made a single oval in which I grabbed the left and right points of the ovals and dragged them out to make them a lot more longer and more pointy but the centre staying chunky and thick. I copied and pasted this shape and made the second oval slightly overlap the first ovals right point. I transferred this into the brush menu as an art brush and made it a tint brush. 

I transferred all my progress onto my USB and moved my project over onto my surface pro to be able to use my pen on the touch screen. From there I set up a new layer and the brush tool, picked my colours and started following the hair flow with brush adjusting brush thickness and colours as I went along.

After completing the hair to where I was happy with the outcome I moved onto the necklace and added some texture with a lighter shade to look like the jade stone that I wear. I did this using the same brush tool and sketched in some wavy lines to make it look marbled.

Next I saved the project and transferred it back onto the USB and moved it all back to my laptop. Once that was done I reopened the project and continued. I worked on a new layer for the background I created a rectangle behind the image and used the radiant gradient fill. I changed the colours of the current setting and added an additional colour. Now 3 shade of a teal as this is one of my favourite colours and it complements the red of my hair.

Once looking at the project I decided I wanted to create a frame. I did this by unlocking all the layers highlighted everything and shrunk the piece to allow for a frame. I created the frame on a new layer above the previous layers after locking all the layers in place. The frame was made by making an L shape made out of rectangles. I used the transform tool to copy and flip horizontally and vertically and made a full frame. The black frame blended into the dress too much so I separated it with a this maroon line created with the pen tool. Another check later I was finished. 

Things I've Learnt 

  • How to make custom brush and transfer it to a second program.
  • Its okay to change and adjust to make project look the way you want them to.
  • That it is possible to adjust the size of the project by selecting all layers and resizing.
That is all for now,
Crystle Maree

without frame

with the frame


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Creative Drawing Tutorials and Equipment

Tutorial 7- Double Exposure Effect